Pmo Manager Job Description
What Is a Pmo Manager Job ?
Essential Functions of the Job:
Partner with the Service Delivery Team to understand their portfolio, business strategy, prioritization, etc. to facilitate quality service delivery.
Work with IT Global Program Management Office and cross functional PMOs to define the approach to, for example:
- Customer request reporting and monitoring from initial request through demand management and for approved concepts to program/project delivery
- Assessing and improving the health of programs/projects
- Assessing and improving the effectiveness of portfolio management and demand management processes
- Service Delivery function FY Plan and Outlook principles, processes, roles/responsibilities etc
- Identifying, defining, developing and implementing improvements to project/financial reporting and monitoring processes and procedures
- Tool requirements for delivering project/financial reporting and monitoring
- Provide executive visibility to project, program, portfolio and functional level status, issues, risks, costs, etc.
- Provide information to IT Global Program Management Office so demand, financials, service and project delivery can be aggregated to the enterprise level
- Produce integrated life cycle dashboard reports at the function, portfolio and sub-portfolio levels to show for example demand requests, budget v actual v projected spend, program/project delivery
- Monitor people process and technology within the Service Delivery function.
- Identify and deliver actions to improve the quality of service delivery based on monitoring and reporting activities and management information
- Work with service delivery teams to manage the functional and portfolio pipeline
- Work with service delivery teams to drive data accuracy
- Oversee FY Plan and Outlook activities
- Monitor and report on actual and projected spend to ensure function operates within FY Plan/Outlook – function, portfolio and program/project levels.
- Monitor and report on program/project financials to ensure project managers are managing financials in accordance with sound financial principles and recommend corrective actions
- Drive the implementation and embedding of process, methods and best practice into service delivery activities for the function, including project management, financial management, resource management, etc.
- Drive improvements in consistency, effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery processes and tools
- Drive best practice through the champion networks and knowledge coordination
- Conduct program/project health checks to help assure program/project delivery including for example artifact, gate reviews, and monitoring for delivery to scope, time and cost
- Work with the global resource and vendor management teams on staff requirements and reporting.
- Work with the service delivery teams to prioritize customer demand, both within a portfolio and across the function.
- Provide oversight to people processes including PMDP, functional alignment, etc.
- Along with People Team, maintain role standardization ensuring alignment with competency programs and career development programs
- Improve communications, content and transparency of information with key customers
- Work with function and service delivery leaders to implement on going communication method to entire team
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
- Monitor program/project baselines to ensure activities are occurring as planned – scope, budget and schedule
- Proactively identify risks and issues on programs/projects – advising team on the development of risk management and issue management plans
- Identify potential points of contention for missed deliverables
- Develop and manage plans to address program/project strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats
- Ability to balance both the “science” of how to perform program/project management and the “art” of program/project management, which is learned through experience and skill training/application
- Analysis of program/project data to produce management information and identify and deliver continual improvement
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
Technical skills requirements
- End to end understanding of IT life cycle (pipeline, resource, demand, project delivery, financial)
- Experience in end-to-end financial management – plan, forecast, actual – function, portfolio and program/project levels
- Very good understanding of service delivery related key performance indicators
- Project delivery experience in a similar IT environment
- Business Analytic skills
Additional skills requirements:
- Flexibility to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change
- Customer orientation and responsiveness
- Ability to deal efficiently with escalations and difficult situations/people under pressure
- Outstanding self management , influence management , information presentation and interpersonal, communication
- English language skills – excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience working in a global IT environment
- Reports to the Service Delivery Function IT Program Management Office Leader
- May supervise one or more Program Management Office analysts
Works as required to improve:
- Selection and performance management of staff members
- Evaluate, counsel, mentor and provide feedback on performance
- Ensure training and development of staff members
- Support staff members directly or indirectly in their roles
- Meets regularly with staff to provide direction and serves as an escalation point for issues